.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Moriash Moreau: My Second Life
Saturday, March 12, 2005
 
One Friday Night
So it was a typical night in Second Life. Made some pottery, did a little do-it-yourself plastic surgery, and then danced until dawn. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Ming Vase


First, I took a little time to finish up a project that had me giggling all the way home last night. (Yes, I know it's sad that I crack myself up.) As you can see above, this is my Ming Vase. Touch it, and it manifests a ghostly image of Ming the Merciless, nemesis of Flash Gordon, and plays one of three random quotes from the movie. Ha! I slay me!

Sad thing is, three of the four people I showed the vase to didn't even know who Emperor Ming was. Sigh. Don't the schools teach the classics anymore?


The Screenshot of Dorian Gray


Later on, Chres showed up and helped me find an appropriately somber suit for my old man avatar. Apparently, Laura had another idea for a photo shoot, involving a sad old man and the ghost of a young woman in early 20th century garb. I don't know the details, beyond that. (I'll post the pics later, should they pan out.) When I first started on the old man a couple days ago, I was surprised at the provisions for wrinkles and other signs of age in the avatar editor. (The picture really doesn't do it justice. The old man's face is realistically lined with deep wrinkles, which show better under indirect lighting, and age spots.) I didn't look at it much after my initial av construction, and evidently missed some little used sliders. And, since 90% of the avs out there look like 20-something fashion models (with most of the remainder being furries, aliens, robots and the like), I just assumed that was what the appearance editor was optimized for the under 30 set.

Unfortunately, the clothing selection is similarly geared for the under 30 crowd. The old man looks a little more GQ than I would have liked, or perhaps a little too executive vice president. Fortunately, three-button suits (which were in vogue a few decades ago) are enjoying a comeback, so I was able to find something with somewhat more conservative lines in the trendy shops that litter the continent.


Last Tango in Macy's


The end of our shopping trip found us at Vindaloo Designs, an upscale clothier on a semi-private island in the middle of nowhere. (Fortunately, it was equipped with a private teleport pad.) We had high hopes, as Ms. Vindaloo specialized in vintage clothing reproductions. However, everything there was both too early (roaring 20's era) and priced way, way out of my price range. We window shopped a bit, then ended up in the deserted club area on the first level. The lights were low, and the music was provided courtesy of Frank Sinatra and his Rat Pack contemporaries. One thing led to another, and we ended up talking and dancing until dawn.

Okay, so night is only about an hour long in SL. Picky, picky, picky.
Comments:
If anyone is interested, the Ming Vase is now part of the new Mo-Tech Industries line of products, sold exclusively through Ingersoll and Bard Aesthetics in Abitibi.
 
Post a Comment



Return to Main Page