.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Moriash Moreau: My Second Life
Sunday, July 16, 2006
 
Feted Inner Bear
Well, tonight I made a bear. Cute little fella, isn't he? And a pretty good likeness, to boot.


I'm not really certain what spawned this. I logged in this evening (Sunday), and did a little putzing around and assorted IMing. (No notable progress on the Garage this weekend. Took a little time off from SL.) Toward the end of an IM session, Laura asked me if I had ever made a bear. Not really knowing what it was that she wanted, I answered that all I had was a few modifications of the bear Chrestomanci had made for Plywood (Mama Bear in her various incarnations). In addition to various poses and modifications used in the strip proper, this includes a tiny av version (something like two feet tall) and a Mega Bear (about 18 meters tall). At this point, I was told that I needed to come make a bear.

Evidently, there was a mass bear-making festival at some point earlier this weekend, as the snapshot I was given indicated. Said picture showed a half dozen people (only two of whom I recognized) posing with their ursine dopplegangers. Sounds like it would have been a nifty event, although I expect I would have ended up editing in complete silence, yet again. I've yet to master the art of chatting while prim-slinging.

I am, of course, aware of the Linden Bears. Some (most? all?) Lindens have bear versions of themselves, given out either to select people or to anyone who asks. I don't actually know any Lindens well enough to have actually seen one, however. (Hamlet was the only Linden I could even claim passing acquaintance with and, of course, he's gone freelance now.) Given that the original nekkid bear template was crafted by Aimee Weber, and that said item was actually named "Feted Inner Bear," I assume some of the SL luminaries decided to adopt the practice as well. Again, I wouldn't know. One day, I'm going to have to make some feeble attempt at socializing with the SL community at large.

Nah, that's just crazy talk!
Comments:
I'm delighted to hear that the bear-making goes on. About a year and a half ago my bears started quite a sensation, with 2 large museums featuring hundreds of personalized Aimee Bears :D

I figured the fad had died down but apparently the bears are still getting some love! If you hear of an event like this in the future, let me know so I can visit and blog it.
 
Well, I don't think it was really a formal Event event, just kind of a random happening. But yeah, I'll keep it in mind.

I didn't realize there was so much history! As usual, I'm umpteen months late for any given fad in SL.
 
Post a Comment



Return to Main Page