.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Moriash Moreau: My Second Life
Thursday, December 21, 2006
 
Lag Control
Just spent the last hour or so doing cleanup work at the Garden of Mo. In particular, I went through and zotted a few basic sit orientation corrections (scripts that set the sit position on a chair, etc.) and texture animation scripts left here and there that I really didn't need. See, most properties of an SL object are "fire and forget." Things like sit positions, texture animations, particle systems, and so on only need to be set once. They're simply settings stored in the object, like its size, shape, color, and texture. As such, once the script that sets these properties is run, it can safely be deleted.

The jury is still out on just how much impact such a script has on sim performance. Most of these scripts contain one command that runs when the script is first compiled/saved. After that, the script sits idle, doing nothing. As such, their continued existence would seem to have little performance impact. However, some amount of frame time is still consumed, just maintaining their static existence.

In any case, I had a bit of time to kill, so I decided to be responsible and do another idle-script audit of my land. I do this every couple of months, in order to redeem the inevitable bad sim resource consumption karma that comes with being a prolific scripter. This time, just for yucks and giggles, I kept track of the number of superfluous scripts deleted this go 'round...

Fifty-seven!

That is just... Mortifying.
Comments: Post a Comment



Return to Main Page