.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Moriash Moreau: My Second Life
Monday, June 20, 2005
 
The People Have Spoken
Hamlet Linden, 6/20/2005 1:38pm PDT:
Hiya! Well, your prototype rocked, but in the end, after fierce competition, it went to Falk Bergman. Thanks for entering your prototype, and here's hoping that you do something with your prototype, too.

Bah! I didn't want to format, upload, and process 320 pages anyway!

In the end, 115 people voted. I don't know if this is significant or not. Did we find 115 people who would be interested in reading a good book in SL? Or 115 people who read NWN and were especially bored last week? Or a little of each? I guess we'll see how many copies Falk gives away.

I suppose I'll have to do my own import of Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town, eventually. I'd had big plans of mass-importing as many CCL and public domain books as I could find (and afford to upload), but this has kind of let the wind out of my sails. Given that over 70% of the sampled population preferred prim-readers with texture format pages (as opposed to the particle pages I used), I sure don't feel any need to hurry. Maybe I'll wait and see how the much anticipated HTML prim works out. I'm still not convinced that it's the final solution for large online text files. (Linking to web documents is inherently unstable in the long run, and in-game text files are a royal pain to read line-by-line via the dataserver functions.) But, it might be more usable and easier to manage than image files. It'd certainly be cheaper to upload!



Addendum, 6/21/05, 12:20pm:
Hamlet Linden, on the use of scantily clad models (aka "booth babes") to promote our book readers at the Expo.

Hamlet Linden shouts: IN SL YOU CAN BE CREATOR *AND* BOOTH BABE!

You know, most of my votes did come in while Chres was sitting at my booth, plowing her way through Down and Out.... Rats! I was only one avatar quick change away from victory! Oh well. I would have never lived down getting into virtual drag and playing Vanna White with the HoloReader, anyway.
Comments: Post a Comment



Return to Main Page