.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Moriash Moreau: My Second Life
Friday, June 29, 2007
 
Script Is Missing from Database
Okay, I've just gotten my third "Script is missing from database" error in the last week. I believe the colloquial term is WTF?!

This one was for a product I was releasing this evening. Vexing. Fortunately, it is only a freebie, and the scripting was complete. The executable is still intact and functional. I guess I just won't be making any upgrades to it. But, still. This should not happen.

Oh, by the way, the first smartass that says "You should backup your scripts on your local hard drive!" dies. Painfully. If I can't depend on SL's asset server to keep up with a damned plaintext file, something is drastically, catastrophically wrong. Yes, by all means, keep up with every disposable plywood cube in my Trash folder until the end of days. But that script I spent a few hours pounding out last month? Eh, it's not important. Flush it!

And, while I'm bitching, what is up with the change to llOwnerSay? Why was it even necessary to change the format of the OwnerSay messages in the first place, and why didn't someone check it before pushing it to a few million customers? Now, every time one of my scripted items speaks to its owner, the message is prefaced with "Object say, ..." as in "Object say, Me am speaking now!" It makes such a wonderful impression on my customers when my products sound like ESL class dropouts.

Honest, folks, I have a basic grasp of English! It's not my fault! I swear, I'm going to post that on a 10 meter tall sign in front of my shop. I'm sure there are dozens of grammatical errors, typoes, etc. strewn throughout the client. But this one actively makes me and every other scripter out there look ignorant. 99% of the SL residents won't realize the problem comes from the client. They'll just assume the scripter doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground. Not. Good.

Addendum, June 30, 2007
I guess I should have followed my own advice here (the bit at the end). Second life, on the whole, is teh awesome. And the Lindens are doing a bang-up job with a system that is teetering perpetually on the edge of total meltdown, with a few hundred thousand new residents coming along every month to give it a push. Stuff happens, and I expect it. Sometimes, you just have to vent, though. That's what weblogs are for. It's my blog, and I can bitch if I want to.

Ahem. Anyway. On with your web browsing.

Comments: Post a Comment



Return to Main Page