.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Moriash Moreau: My Second Life
Monday, August 11, 2008
 
Zero Point
I guess I'm late off the mark here, but I wanted to join the other mourners in expressing my condolences and outrage for the loss of a Second Life artistic landmark, Zero Point. I've been a fan of Sabine Stonebender's megalithic, psychedelic art for over a year now (practically forever in SL terms). Zero Point was always on the top of my list of beautiful and inspirational landmarks to pass on to newcomers, and I know I'm not alone in that. And now, due to some kind of administrative snafu, it's evaporated from the face of the grid. And yes, returned, even in coalesced form, pretty much means destroyed in cases like this. It's like kicking down a sandcastle, then handing the builder a bag of sand.

Now all that remains of the Point are our memories, and a few handfuls of pictures which don't come near to doing it justice. I'd always meant to go back and take better photos, myself, as all I seem to have is a single picture of one of the smaller and more obscure works tucked in an unregarded corner of her parcel. [Addendum: Actually, that was a Starax Stratosky, not one of Ms. Stonebender's works.] There always seems to be time for that kind of thing tomorrow, though, doesn't there?

While Ms. Stonebender is of course upset, she seems to view this as an opportunity to rebuild. I admire her optimism, and eagerly wait to see what will rise from the ashes. In the meantime, I suppose all we can do is wish her luck, check our billing information again (not that that would have helped Sabine), and look warily at our own comparatively feeble builds. Once again, we're reminded that our shared new world is built on shifting sand.
Comments: Post a Comment



Return to Main Page