.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
Moriash Moreau: My Second Life
Friday, May 04, 2007
 
Sigh
Well, crap. I think I just fried my interface box. The NumLock is rapidly blinking on and off for no apparent reason. Here's hoping I can find the time to repair or replace it before July.

Addendum, 5/6/07
Hrm. After shuffling around some USB connections, it seems to be working again. Oh, how I love USB port shuffling, with all the crawling over and under my desk and standing on my head to reach the ports in the back of my machine. Anyhow, short term crisis tentatively declared over. Nonetheless, I think I'm going to shelve further experimentation until after SLRFL (end of July). It strikes me as more than a coincidence that these troubles started not too long after I plugged in the bike, and I really don't want to wear the box out right now. All I need is for it to give up the ghost right before the Relay. I'm already afraid of that happening with my ancient and well-worn treadmill. As it is, I smell overheated plastic after only a couple of hours of walking. The fan I added to the forward cowling seems to help with this, but I still don't know how it'll react to the several more hours I intend to put in on the day of the event. I'm afraid to test it, because I can't afford to replace it with a comprable piece of equipment if this one dies on me. I'm seriously considering going to a thrift store to buy a semi-disposable emergency backup, just in case. Maybe I can swap back and forth between treadmills, pony express style, on the day of the Relay.

Besides, it looks like PCGamerBike has well and truly cinched bike interface technology, including built in key mapping for the forward and back keys for games like SL. Ah, well.

Comments: Post a Comment



Return to Main Page